There are some challenges with delivering the revised 3 day PSDM material from how it was previously. As those who have attended or taught the course will know before the course was very heavy on using easels. Easels were used for everything; process demonstration, case studies, teaching aids, lists and so on. A lot of easels. This also meant, a lot of easel writing for the course leader. Either as pre-written easels (and the subsequent headache of flipping between them…) or writing them on the fly (messing handwriting anyone?). The revised material brings with it a reduction in this easel based headache. Firstly, several of the easels that were to be pre-written for training material now exist in the powerpoint presentations with animations. Examples of these are the IS/IS NOT venn diagram or the deviation/standard/changes diagram, and they are much better for it. Secondly and this is due to necessity of increased process steps and more rich (note I am not saying complex) case studies, it is not really possible to fit all of the discover case/process demo on easels. In my conversion we were recommended to still do these on easels to some degree. however, I practised this at home (yes I have 2 easels in my apartment) and I just could not make it flow. I therefore decided to develop the blind specification into a blank table in powerpoint as the course attendees fed me the information. This requires a little extended desktop setting changes in windows but worked very well for both myself and the attendees.
This is all well and good but this then also raises another serious issue to deal with when teaching the new material. How do the attendees document their team work on cases? We cannot comfortably fit these on easels anymore as already discussed. I experimented a little with this. First I tried giving them the new ledger sheets. This worked ok, however, they tended to work individually rather than together and couldn’t present from it to the rest of the groups. After this was not all that satisfactory I got the attendees to sign-up and download the worksheet or the app or preferably both! This proved very successful. Teams then set one person in charge of documenting into the worksheet or app and the rest focussed on the example. It also made presenting very easy indeed. One minor challenge was that not all the team members could see everything but this will be solved for future course by having break-out rooms with external monitors.